Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Star Wars, Knitting, Vonnegut

Let me start off by saying that I sent in my housing deposit for the Academy last night, so basically...if I don't go at this point, I'll just be really embarrassed. And poorer. That being said, I'M GOING TO NEW YORK! It still feels weird to say that definitely, but like I said...this could all still fall through at any moment, so you should go buy a lollipop. They are homemade and delicious. http://www.etsy.com/shop/PipseyPops
Also, I'll be putting up homemade Norman Rockwell envelopes on Etsy soon. Here's a sneak peek!

Anyway, I have less then two weeks until move-in and I just got my reading list for the semester, which pretty much means I'm on overload. Ordinarily, I would have finished the reading list two weeks ago, and I would have been packed pretty much by the same time, not to mention all of the little things that I have to make (organic soap, a pencil pouch...you know, the usual stuff). My to-do list has gone from long to impossible within the past week. I've been adding new dreams and goals, and of course everything I need to do in order to be 120% prepared for the big apple. I wonder if when I become a native, I'll regret calling it that. I have been taking my mega-to-do-list and breaking it down day-by-day.
An example of a schedule for the day (this was today):
  • Make a mini quote book. You know those little inspirational books filled with short quotes? Well, I want to make one. I have quotes on my wall, but sometimes I need a pick-me-up when I can't just glance up at posters in my office. This wasn't intended to be completed today; I just went ahead and jotted it down as a reminder. 
  • Practice guitar. I've been slacking on this one. Didn't get around to it today, either.
  • Meet George Lucas and Stan Lee. Once again, more of a reminder that this should happen sometime in the near future, but not today. (Note, complain to George Lucas about the lack of blondes in Star Wars. Come on, bud. Also, advocate Ms. Marvel's participation in one of the future Avengers movies...and then asking him kindly if I could be her.)
  • Iron bags for "fabric".
  • Watch Star Wars.
  • Make or find/buy a Hero's Journey poster as it applies to Star Wars.
  • Scan books from library and upload them to my computer.
  • Make progress on Big Bang Theory viewing (I'm on season 3!)
  • Print eBay label for my brother
  • Babysit
  • Go to work
  • Call a school
  • Call the dentist (I intend to go to New York cavity-free).
  • Stop by the bank
  • Stop by the library
The funny thing is, even when I plan out my to-do list for the day, it rarely helps accomplish anything related to my stress. I realize this. I am a silly person. I am also a warrior goddess though, so it's all good.

To justify my watching Star Wars: I recently bought a Star Wars lunchbox  instead of DIYing one, (I guess DingIM...Doing it myself), so I felt inspired, nay, obligated, to watch it. Plus, I learned a valuable lesson. I have always loved Princess Leia and aspired to have her courage and determination, but I realized that while I typically end up falling for Han Solo-types, I am more like Padme than Leia so I should probably find someone more like Anakin (I like their story better anyway). The funniest part is that I always liked Luke best. Oh well. This is all hypothetical anyway because I have decided I don't want to be in a relationship again until I'm debt-free, and I decided that by that point, I will probably have no interest in being in a relationship at all. I shall never marry and I will possibly adopt. Of course, this has only been my inclination for the past week, so it may change. May.
Other things I've added on to my goal list include learning Russian, German, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, and French. Then I shall travel to Russia and Germany. The other places will have their chance too so if you're from one of those countries, fear not. I will make my way to you someday.

Important updates in my life. I read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian last night in the tub. It was a short read. Mr. Vonnegut is from Indiana, so I sort of feel a kindred spirit (my grandparents met him! I don't know the whole story, so it could just be an awkward hello in the grocery store...or it could be that they met and went to tea and had a marvelous time but lost all contact) in him. I highly recommend the book.

I've also been knitting a lot lately. I'm working on a Slytherin scarf! It's marvelous (and huge!). At work, the kids saw me knitting and have been asking me to make things for them-some even joined in (God bless you, children)! I've made three headbands for little girls, and I have to say they are pretty stinkin' cute. I'll upload a picture when I get a headband on my sister's head rather than the kids at the day care.

Oh, and I bought a tool kit from Ikea. I will never ask anyone to come help me. I have my own hammer and wrench now.

No comments:

Post a Comment