When I feel an overload in my life, I like to return to my sanctuary: the library. Since Freshman year, I've been retreating to the library for a place to focus, the answers to all my questions, and an escape. Sometimes, I let my little friends join me. Two weeks ago, I went to the library and decided to work on my massive book list (remember, over 400 books? Yeah...I'm trying to make a mini-dent in it). I selected the youngest of my little brothers and sisters (they really might have volunteered) and set forth to the library. While my almost-6-year-old sister went flying through the shelves, I went upstairs to the "grown-up" books. *Excuse me while I interrupt myself for a moment. My dad is currently going through my sister's closet...that same Sassy almost-6-year-old I just mentioned-and he told her that she needs 10 outfits for school this year because that will last two weeks of school...anyone who knows Sassy should not be surprised with the look she just gave him. One of those you-are-so-wrong-but-really-I-pity-you-not-knowing-any-better. She's a prize.* I ended up getting a good amount of books (50 was our limit, but they weren't ALL mine!), and have since read a handful of them. Off my book list, I read Frankenstein, Screwtape Letters, 12 Angry Men and Fight Club. Frankenstein was absolutely delightful! Most kids at school read it sophomore year, but my class didn't get around to it, and I have since been sad about that...not anymore! For those of you who haven't seen the movie, Fight Club is not for the weak-stomached of the world. Anyway, among the other books I finished was an excellent book entitled It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken by Greg Behrendt and his wife Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt. Mr. Behrendt also co-wrote He's Just Not that Into You which I read about two and half years ago. Both books have made a pretty big impact on me. Every thought I had about my recent breakup was written down in black and white in this book, and it was extremely helpful. Here are some of the quotes I found especially useful:
"The person you loved took a good long look ar the awesomeness that is you, evaluated your relationship together and said, 'No, thanks I'll try my luck elsewhere.' Or you said it to him. Either way, that alone should make you realize that it wasn't a match made in heaven and they're not worth donning overalls for. Anyone who assess your relationship as disposable is not worthy of your time or tears."
"If he's going to come to the conclusion that you guys should be together, he's going to do it on his own."
"If a man breaks up with you, he should give back the T.V."
...anyway, like I said, great book. My heart is still broken and I'm still in love, but at least I know what the next few steps are to feeling better. Namely, I've decided to be my own best friend because I like myself a lot. Also, I've decided I need to dance everyday (I will include a video of what type of dancing I'm talking about), possibly change my phone number, sing "Heart of Glass" everytime I drive, not talk to him for sixty days, and do things for myself, not for anyone else.
Books I also got from the library that I will be reading next:
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Women are Crazy, Men are Stupid by Howard J. Morris and Jenny Lee
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
1985 by Anthony Burgess
Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut
The Iliad...Homer, duh
God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut
Slapstick Also, by Mr. Vonnegut
I also got some book about why comic books were created and what made them become so popular and that kind of thing, but the name is escaping me currently (or really, the book is in the other room and I don't feel like going to get it).
As far as my other lists, I've knocked off a little bit from my TV list. I finished the series Extras, and have watched a few seasons of Tosh.0, Glee, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and 30 Rock. Pretty much, I'm making good head-way!
No comments:
Post a Comment